At the invitation of the Prime Minister of Mongolia H.E. Mr. Chimed Saikhanbileg, the Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea H.E. Mr. Hwang Kyo-ahn paid an official visit to Mongolia on December 15-17, 2015. During the visit the two Prime Ministers held official talks. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea H.E. Mr. Hwang Kyo-ahn paid a courtesy call on President of Mongolia H.E.Mr.Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj and the Speaker of the State Great Khural of Mongolia H.E.Mr. Zandaakhuu Enkhbold.
- The Prime Ministers have exchanged views on expanding bilateral relations and cooperation at regional and international levels in a discussions held in a cordial and friendly atmosphere.
- The two Prime Ministers expressed their satisfaction that Comprehensive Partnership between the two countries was expanding and developing in every field, including political, trade, economic, humanitarian, cultural and development cooperation areas as well as bilateral cooperation in the international arena. They unanimously noted that reciprocal high level visits had played a vital role in developing bilateral relationship in all areas and strengthening substantial cooperation.
- Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg emphasized that the current visit of Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn was of particular significance as it took place on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Mongolia and the Republic of Korea. Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg further expressed his confidence that the visit would significantly contribute towards expanding bilateral cooperation in all ways and strengthening the friendly relations between the two peoples.
- The two Prime Ministers expressed their appreciation for rapid expansion of trade and investment cooperation over the past 25 years and stressed the importance of further developing trade and investment cooperation based on mutually complementary economic resources. The two sides agreed to further expand the mutually beneficial cooperation in the areas of mineral resources, energy, road, transport and construction through the Joint Mongolian-ROK Intergovernmental Committee established in March 2015.
- In this regard, the two Prime Ministers noted that the cooperation in the areas of road and transport, infrastructure, energy and mineral resources, including the construction of roads, railways, airports and power plants was intensely developing, and agreed to further facilitate the smooth implementation of the Fifth Power Plant Project as well as to provide necessary support in promoting cooperation in the above-mentioned areas. Furthermore, the two Prime Ministers agreed on the necessity of increasing the number of direct flights between the two countries and decided to start as an immediate priority flights between Ulaanbaatar and Busan beginning from March next year.
- Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn requested the Mongolian side to pay necessary attention to and provide support for the Ukhaakhudag-Gashuunsukhait railway construction project, which is being implemented by South Korean company, as well as payment issues related to the said construction project and introduction of Smart Card in micro payments systems. Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg expressed his intention to resolve positively those issues in the near future.
- Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg acknowledged that the grants provided by the Government of the Republic of Korea through its Economic Development Cooperation Fund (EDCF) as well as the technical assistance provided to Mongolia had contributed significantly to social and economic development of the country, and requested further support for implementation of the “Improving Intercity Transportation Service” project funded by EDCF and the grant aid project for information technology sector. Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn affirmed the importance of providing assistance to promote social and economic development through the development cooperation, and expressed willingness to request the relevant authorities to favorably consider in accordance with the internal rules eligible, specific project proposals submitted by the Mongolian side.
- Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg expressed Mongolia’s interest to become a member of APEC and a dialogue partner of ASEAN, as well as to join the East Asia Summit process; Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahnexpressed his confidence that Mongolia’s bid for joining APEC and the East Asia Summit and becoming a dialogue partner of ASEAN would be decided positively in accordance with the relevant procedures of the said organizations and mechanisms, and congratulated Mongolia for being elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council for the term 2016-2018. The two Prime Ministers have agreed to work together towards successful organization of the ASEM Summit to be held in Mongolia in 2016. Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn expressed his confidence that the Summit would be held successfully and efficiently.
- The two sides affirmed the importance of maintaining peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and underlined their shared view that the region must be free of nuclear weapons. Moreover, both sides unanimously stressed the significance of building mutual trust, peace and cooperation in Northeast Asia and expressed their willingness to contribute to the prosperity and peace in the region through mutually complementary cooperation initiatives, such as the “Ulaanbaatar Dialogue on the Northeast Asian Security” launched by the President of Mongolia Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj and “Northeast Asia Peace and Cooperation Initiative” and “Eurasia Initiative” launched by the President of Korea Park Geun-hye.
- Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg requested the Korean side to consider easing visa requirements for Mongolian citizens travelling to the Republic of Korea; and Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn requested the Mongolian side to assist in the issue of the security of Korean citizens residing in and visiting Mongolia.
- The two Prime Ministers have underlined with satisfaction that the social, cultural and economic events organized in Mongolia and the Republic of Korea in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries provided a positive impetus to fostering mutual understanding between the two peoples, and agreed to further promote cooperation by utilizing the resources in the health, tourism, cultural and educational sectors.
- Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn extended an invitation to Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg to visit the Republic of Korea at the time of his convenience; and Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg accepted the invitation with gratitude.
- The two Prime Ministers attended the ceremony of the signing of the following documents:
- Letter of Exchange for the extension of validity of the “Framework Arrangement between the Government of Mongolia and the Government of the Republic of Korea concerning Loans from the Economic Development Cooperation Fund for the Years 2011 through 2015”;
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Road and Transport of Mongolia and the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries of the Republic of Korea on Cooperation in the Fields of Maritime Transport and Logistics;
- Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation between the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Fund under the Ministry of Industry of Mongolia and the Small and Medium Business Corporation of the Republic of Korea;
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Energy Development Center under the Ministry of Energy of Mongolia and the Korea Conformity Laboratories under the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy of the Republic of Korea.